You don’t take a photograph, you make it. –Ansel Adams

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Film is Not Dead!

Had an interesting encounter with a Best Buy sales associate yesterday. The conversation turned to photography, and it evolved this person was a diehard film camera person. His allegation was film cameras take superior photos, and he loved shooting rapid-fire sequences at 6 fps to capture possibly one good shot out of many in an action series. Can one even imagine the expense, compared to digital, of using film nowadays? No, he did not work in the camera department!

2 comments:

  1. Maybe film is not "dead" - but where to get it developed "easily" is my dilemma. I had used Seattle FilmWorks film for a decade, and that cannot be processed just anywhere. I do have some Kodak film left... but I don't make trips to Cedar City often enough to drop it off and pick it up at Wal Mart or wherever film might be developed. Expense is not the issue; yes, I may have lost a lot of good shots through use of film (digital makes it easy to delete bad ones right away), but I have lost a lot of opportunities for good shots because my cheapo digital just can't capture what I want. And I cannot afford to upgrade to a truly good camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Barb! Worse yet, the evolution of digital cameras is advancing at such a rapid pace! In the days of film, a quality camera purchase would last one quite a spell. New films (the equivalent of the "sensor" on digital cameras) wold be announced, but the camera would still be applicable. Not so with digital, the average span between model updates of a digital SLR being about 3 years, if even that. Thank goodness the lens purchases are much more enduring.

    ReplyDelete